- This event has passed.
Desert Outdoor Center Field Trip
December 19, 2022 @ 8:00 am - 5:15 pm$15.00
Join The Inspiration Academy’s fun filled day trip to the Desert Outdoor Center at Lake Pleasant. Students will participate in hands-on interactive activities ranging from hiking, desert survival skills, and obstacle team challenges to a study of cacti and an investigation of aquatic micro-organisms using microscopes. Purchase Tickets Below.
- DATE: Monday, December 19th, 2022
- TIME: Arrive Desert Outdoor Center 9:30am – Depart Desert Outdoor Center 4:00pm
- CARPOOL INSTRUCTIONS: We will meet at the Shepard of the Hills church parking lot at 8:00 am. Depart church at 8:15 am sharp! We will need some parents to drive.
- LOCATION: Desert Outdoor Center Address: 41402 N 87th Ave, Peoria, AZ 85383
- FOOD: Everyone will need to pack their own lunch, snacks, and drinks.
- DRESS CODE: Students must wear their TIA shirts. No sandals allowed! You must wear a closed toe shoe. There will be some hiking involved.
- COST: $15 per student or parent. Everyone attending must purchase a ticket on our website from the link below.
OUTLINE OF ACTIVITIES
- Depart Fountain Hills 8:00 am – 8:15 am
We will meet at Shepherd of the Hills at 8:00 am to organize carpool. We will leave at 8:15 am. It will take a little over an hour to drive to The Desert Outdoor Center.
- Arrival/Check-in/Intro/Rules 9:30 am – 10:00 am
- Nature Hike (Grades K-12) 10:00 am – 10:50 am
This class is designed as an interpretive and recreational hike. Students will learn geology, animal signs, plant names, history, and ecology along a designated trail.
- Desert Survival I and II Combo (Grades K-12) 11:00 am – 11:50 am
Desert Survival I – students will learn the basic skills of constructing a fire, building a shelter, and signaling for help.
Desert Survival II – consists of group participation in a simulated exercise to apply skills learned in Desert Survival I.
- Lunch 11:50 am – 12:30 pm
- Mind Boggle (Grades 3-12 Team Building) 12:30 pm – 1:20 pm
In this class students will experience group dynamics and develop team-building skills such as communication, leadership, cooperation, and trust. Students will work together in fun group activities to overcome challenging obstacles.
- Cactimendous (Grades K-12) 1:30 pm – 2:20 pm
Students will study various species of cactus, examine them closely, and learn how to use a taxonomic key. Students
- Break 2:20 pm – 2:40 pm
- Aquatic Life (Grades 2-12) 2:40 pm – 3:30 pm
In this course students will play the role of microbiologists. Students will discover aquatic communities and animals, and learn the difference between lakes and ponds as they examine living specimens under a microscope.
- Closing Meeting/Restroom Break/Departure 3:30 pm – 4:00 pm
We will debrief and reflect on the field trip activities during our closing meeting, then prepare for departure.
- Drive to Fountain Hills 4:00 pm – 5:15 pm
We will carpool back to Fountain Hills.